Zephyr Illusions photo by donna October 1992. The view atop Chasseral, Jura Mountains looking across Switzerland to The Alps on the horizon. Fog, intensely thick, rising from Lac Bienne and stretching its fingers high onto the Lignières-Plateau de Diesse after wholly filling the valley below the plateau.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

White Flowers

photo by donna, San Juan del Obispo, Guatemala 1986
I walk alone in the garden as twilight falls,
Shadows filling the thorn covered walls
Watching the sun go down on the day,
I wonder how things could go so astray

Once filled with the beauty of glorious flowers,
Being ever nourished by fresh Spring showers
The garden once so full of color and delight,
Has somehow become faded, no longer bright

What has caused this barren desert to appear,
Why has the sky become so cloudy and unclear
I tremble and quake as darkness closes in,
A cold sweat breaking out on my skin

From deep within me rises a churning fear,
I try to be strong and shed not a tear
It is too late, I have numbed all my senses,
And put into place all my last defenses

Trying to escape the darkness of this night,
All I feel through the numbness is cold fright
I begin to pray that I will find the path,
For I know I cannot endure any more wrath

I frantically begin to search for a way out,
My mind swimming with troubles and doubt
Making my way through the briers and thistle,
I think I hear what sounds like a whistle

I stop and listen looking into the night,
Off in the distance I see something glowing bright
Slowly, carefully I make my way toward the light,
A sparking of fire within me begins to ignite

The warmth of the fire causing my senses to excite,
I give way to my feelings, I worry not of my plight
Down the garden path I continue hoping that I might,
Find that each and every little thing will be alright

At the end of the path much to my delight,
I find the garden gate is covered in white
Sprays and bouquets of every beautiful white flower,
Placed there by an angel as a beacon of hope and power

White flowers of friendship, affection and love,
Light the way home like the stars above
Today the garden shows no trace,
Of what was once a barren place

No longer when I walk in the garden do I feel alone,
For the harmony of our friendship has blossomed and grown
No longer are there briers and thistle to fight for hours,
The garden is an endless sea of beautiful White Flowers


Written sometime in 2002  for Julia, my friend in St. Petersburg, Russia.  Thank you, Julia, for being my friend... most especially, when I really needed one.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment