Zephyr Illusions photo by donna October 1992. The view atop Chasseral, Jura Mountains looking across Switzerland to The Alps on the horizon. Fog, intensely thick, rising from Lac Bienne and stretching its fingers high onto the Lignières-Plateau de Diesse after wholly filling the valley below the plateau.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Waggoners Gap, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

View of my childhood stomping grounds.  My childhood homestead is located almost directly below the rock outcropping on the right near the crest of North Mountain (about the 10 second mark, but difficult to see in this low-quality video ) in the woods at the base of the mountain.  There were only 3 other homesteads, back then.  Now there are a dozen or so.  Other than more homes, I am happy to see that things still look much the same... other than the dirt road along the mountain is now paved and has a name (it was nameless when I was a child) and the the 'main road' from where I recorded this video is much busier with traffic.
At the age of 11 years old, my friend and I with her dog hiked up to the outcropping, know as 'The Bare Spot' in child speak, with a picnic lunch packed in a knapsack.  It was quite the feat for young legs and no path to follow.  It took us about 3 hours, if my memory serves me correctly.  The sandstone boulders are HUGE and the view inspiring.  It was that experience which showed me that the world is "out there" waiting to be discovered and explored.








No comments:

Post a Comment